Choosing The Right Hire Car At The Airport
Wednesday, May 26th, 2021
With a lot of our locations being at New Zealand airports, or within a short drive of them, it’s fair to say that we know all there is to know about airport car rentals in NZ. So, when you’re next travelling, we’d like to make it easier for you to choose the right hire car at the airport. To help you do this here’s a short checklist.
- Choose the right size. We know SUVs and similarly sized vehicles are very popular, but if there is just you, or only two of you, do you need to pay for a car larger than you require? For city driving, check out sedans and compact models. For longer road trips, then you might want the extra room that an SUV provides. But don’t rent something just because it looks nice and prestigious – unless you want to make a great impression, of course!
- Go and take a look at the vehicle in the car park. One of the good things about arranging a car rental at the airport is you can check it out up close and with your own eyes before you hire it. This will give you a great idea of the amount of space available in the vehicle, and it’s an opportunity to check things like tyres, or dents (that you didn’t cause but could become an issue when you return the vehicle.) As a huge bonus, you can sit in the vehicle and see how it fits comfort-wise.
- Ask about fuel economy. The car you had your eye on might use more fuel than another model right next door. Always check fuel economy as this as it could save quite a few dollars, especially over the course of a long road trip.
- What’s the fuel policy? On the subject of fuel, ask about the company’s policy re: returning the vehicle with a full tank. Occasionally, one of our clients will run out of time and not be able to fill up the tank – be sure you know the company’s policy on this so there are no nasty surprises.
- Ask if there are any discounts or special deals currently available. You just never know!
- If your trip is unstructured, and if there’s a chance you might be going off the beaten track, ask if the vehicle is capable of handling such a journey.
- Ask if Roadside Assist is available and what its limitations are. Mechanical failures will usually be covered but other callouts might not.
We’re here to help you choose the right rental vehicle at the airport and will happily answer all your questions. And if you want some information even before you fly into your destination, give us a call and we’ll be only too eager to help.