Interesting Facts About Auckland Airport
Whether you’re just stopping by in transit, or you’re picking up a great vehicle from the team at NZ Rent A Car and exploring the region, there are a whole load of interesting facts about Auckland Airport. We’ve put together a list of some of the best, most interesting trivia tidbits:
- Auckland Airport is the largest and busiest in New Zealand, with over 14.8 million visitors in the year ended November 2013.
- The airport serves both domestic and international passengers.
- Bordered by the Manukau Harbour, the airport is located 22km south-west of central Auckland.
- Auckland Airport has a 24.99% stake in Queenstown Airport, as well as a similar stake in two airports in Queensland, Australia.
- There are 6500 carparks at Auckland Airport – that’s a lot of cars in one place.
- 24 million visitors a year are expected to pass through Auckland Airport by 2025.
- Across both the domestic and international terminals, there is over 16,000 square meters of retail space.
- 62% of New Zealanders visited Auckland Airport at least once in a 12 month period.
- Some 12,000 workers are employed in and around the Auckland Airport area.
- 22 international airlines operate out of Auckland Airport, flying to 32 destinations worldwide; it is the second largest airport in Australasia in terms of traffic.
- There are over 120 international flights, and over 320 domestic flights every day.