Several popular Lord of the Rings filming locations including The Ford of Bruinen, Dimrill Dale, The Gates of Argonath, The Pillars of the Kings are just some of the magnificent highlights of your hot air ballooning trip. Uninterrupted views of the Southern Alps, Lake Wakatipu, Lake Hayes, and the Shotover and Kawarau rivers will provide some of these best photo opportunities ever imagined.
While experiencing the sunrise from the serenity of the hot air balloon passengers will also be able to spot Coronet Peak, The Remarkables mountain range, Mount Aspiring, Mount Tutoko in Fiordland National Park, and Mount Earnslaw in the distance.
Marking the end of the perfect morning passengers will be treated to a champagne breakfast in the landing field. Champagne, tea, coffee, juices, muffins, fruit, and more will await you upon arrival.
Sunrise Balloons have three hot air balloons in use, two Lindstrand and one Kavanagh. These balloons are manufactured offshore under strict standards of quality. Piloting a hot air balloon takes skill and experience, with no directional mechanisms onboard, when steering a hot air balloon the pilot must maneuver the balloon up and down to encourage movement in a particular direction while making use of local currents of air.
Lindstrand balloons are manufactured in the UK, Sunrise Balloons has two of these, one with a volume of 240,000 cubic feet or 6,800 cubic meters and one slightly larger at 260,000 cubic feet or 7,368 cubic meters. Air is heated by a Lindstrand ‘Jetstream’ Series 2 Triple burner, producing a heat output of approximately 4,390 kW per burner.
The Kavanagh balloon was built in Australia and has a volume of 140,000 cubic feet or 3,968 cubic meters. Air is heated by a Kavanagh double burner which produces approximately 3,500 kW per burner.
- Flights depart at dawn which depending on the time of year can be as early as 5 am in summer through to 8 am in the winter months.
- The balloons have a carrying capacity of 6-14 adults depending on the combined weight of the occupants and the type of balloon
- The entire experience takes approximately 4 hrs from pick up to drop off, with the actual flight time lasting approximately 1 hour. The actual launch site is only fifteen minutes from central Queenstown.
- Canceled or postponed bookings due to weather restrictions will have the option to rebook a comparable trip at no extra charge or receive a full refund. (A cancellation fee will apply if passengers decide they do not wish to go ahead with the trip for personal reasons)
- The maximum weight for each passenger is 136 kgs or 300 lbs. Accurate weights are extremely important for flight planning, each person is legally required to be weighed before take-off.
- Appropriate clothing is required, warm coats, hats, socks, and gloves are recommended, along with sensible footwear like tramping boots or sports shoes.
- Passengers are encouraged to assist with the inflation and pack up of the balloon.
- Don’t forget your camera! With so many amazing views it may pay to bring extra memory cards or if you prefer, Sunrise Balloons do provide the option to purchase in-flight photos and video upon landing.
Weather conditions are constantly monitored and the balloon flights will only take off in calm and clear conditions at the discretion of the pilot on the day. All pilots are CAA certified and flight-tested annually. All balloons are subject to annual checks and airworthiness reviews similar to any other aircraft. Sunrise Balloons holds an Adventure Aviation Operator Certificate, approved by the Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand.
For up-to-date pricing, more information or to book your hot air ballooning experience, get in touch with Sunrise Balloons. Looking to explore the top tourist attractions and activities while in Queenstown? Set your own sightseeing timetable with a reliable rental car from NZ Rent A Car Queenstown.