Skiing And Snowboarding At Wanaka
You will find the Treble Cone Ski Area and the Cardrona Alpine Resort both within 30 minutes drive of Wanaka. These two ski resorts are both among the best ski areas in Queenstown and offer world-class on and off-piste runs with excellent powder, and snow-making facilities.
For the more experienced, a heliski or heliboard trip allows you to drop in by helicopter and stir up the powder in the stunning Southern Alps. The ski season in Wanaka runs from June through to October (weather dependent of course).
5 Of The Best Heliski Tour Operators In Wanaka
- Southern Lakes Heliski
- Explore Wanaka
- Harris Mountains Heli-Ski
- Adventure Consultants High Altitude Expeditions
- Alpine Helicopters
Soho Basin – Wanaka
If you are searching for something a little more ‘off the beaten track’ and you are an intermediate to an advanced level skier, the privately-owned Soho Basin ski field is roughly 40 minutes from Wanaka. Soho is the ultimate in backcountry skiing with over 500 meters of pristine high country terrain. Escape the crowds (groups of no more than 24 people are permitted) and hit the slopes in style at the Soho Basin ski field, which includes Snowcat access to the mountain.
Best 5 Things To Do In Wanaka
Wanaka is packed full of exciting adventure activities designed to get the adrenaline pumping! Here are our top 5 adventure activities in Wanaka.
1. Canyoning With Canyoning Wanaka
Have the canyoning experience of your life in this Deep Canyoning experience complete with waterfalls, deep forest pools, slippery rock faces, and cliffs. Prices start from $270 for a half-day trip.
2. 4WD Touring With Ridgeline Adventures
Get off the beaten track – literally and enjoy a 4WD tour with Ridgeline Adventures combining a commentary of Wanaka’s rich history, modern-day farming life, and simply breath-taking scenery. Prices start from $175 per person.
3. Jet Boating With Go Jets
Take a spin down the mighty Clutha River in a speeding jet boat with Go Jets Wanaka. Allow about 1.5 hours and don’t forget to pack a warm jacket. Prices start from $129 per adult and there are family rates available.
4. Scenic Flights With Classic Flights
Enjoy a scenic flight with a difference and see the breath-taking Wanaka scenery in a Vintage Tigermoth. Prices start from $255 for 20 minutes, right up to $395 (includes picnic lunch).
5. Parasail Over Lake Wanaka With Wanaka Parasailing
Take to the air and see Lake Wanaka from a whole different perspective in a single or tandem parasailing flight. Glide majestically 250 meters above the lake, prices start at $150 per person.
Mount Aspiring National Park
The nearby Mt Aspiring National Park is a national treasure and a world heritage area, filled with short or long walks through the forest and alpine scenery. For the cyclist, there are both on-road and off-road tracks along the lake or up into the mountains.
Top 3 Walks Near Wanaka
- Deans Bank Track. This 11 km loop track is suitable for walkers and mountain bikers and follows the banks of the Clutha River roughly 5 km from Wanaka.
- Minaret Burn Track. Passing over private land the Minaret Burn Track undulates a short distance from the eastern shores of Lake Wanaka turning off at the Minaret Burn river mouth and heading inland.
- Butterfields Wetland Walk. This one is perfect for the whole family and provides an easy ride without the hassle of having to work too hard! The Butterfields Wetland loop is only 2.5km and covers easy grade terrain.
Top 3 Mountain Biking Tracks Near Wanaka
- Upper Clutha River Track. At 22.15 km long the Upper Clutha River Track is the perfect distance for a good day out on the bike. The track is considered of an intermediate level and follows the edges of the Clutha River.
- Newcastle Track. The Newcastle Track is roughly 12 km one way and is considered an intermediate grade. This track can be combined with the Upper Clutha River track and made into a loop.
- Butterfields Wetland Walk. This one is perfect for the whole family and provides an easy ride without the hassle of having to work too hard! The Butterfields Wetland loop is only 2.5km and covers easy-grade terrain.
What are the must-do’s when in Wanaka? Read on to find out about the best local attractions.
Puzzling is fun for all ages, Puzzling World is a great activity for the whole family. Don’t miss the Great Maze – a world-first 3D Super Maze and the mind-bending illusion rooms. Entry to some parts of the complex is free, you can pay for entry to the Great Maze for $18 per adult and $14 per child along with the Illusion Rooms, or do both for a discounted fee.
Criffel Junction’s Crossfire
Crossfire near the Wanaka airport is the people to see for a wide range of mini-adventure fun. Try your hand at clay bird shooting, target shooting at the rifle range, or archery, and then hit a few golf balls at the driving range, and play a round of mini-golf. Or head on over to the “Battlefield” for an epic shoot-out (with foam balls of course!). Prices vary across the different activities but lookout for the latest combo deals and save.
Warbirds And Wheels Museum And Retro Diner
The perfect activity for a rainy day, the Warbirds and Wheels Museum is filled to the brim with rare and exotic classic and vintage cars and aircraft. Stop by the diner after you’ve finished exploring the museum and get a classic New Zealand ‘Warbirds pie’ at the retro-style diner.
Wanaka Golf Club
Spend some time on this challenging 18 hole golf course complete with stunning views and an on-site Pro Shop. Club hire is available along with cart and trundler hire. There is also a driving range to get in a bit of practice! To play the full 18 holes it will cost around $70 or for 9 holes $40.
Located just an hour's scenic drive from Queenstown, Wanaka is easily accessible for visitors to the region and makes for a great destination for exploring further afield.
Queenstown airport provides an easy link to the region with both national and international flights available.
All the major car rental companies have branches in Queenstown making hiring a car from the airport easy and straightforward. There are also shuttle buses transporting passengers from the airport to central Queenstown. Car hire is also available in Wanaka from several local providers.
Drive Times To Wanaka
It is possible to make the drive to Wanaka yourself, these are the approximate drive times from the major towns and cities in the area.
- From Christchurch 5.5 hours
- From Queenstown 1 hour
- From Dunedin 3 hours
- From Invercargill 3 hours 15 minutes
- From Greymouth 6 hours
Getting to Wanaka from Queenstown without a hire car is possible on daily bus services provided by two main bus companies, these are: