If you’re after car rental in Queenstown, check out our amazing fleet of affordable and reliable vehicles. They come in all sizes and fit all budgets, so we’re sure to have a vehicle for you, provided you book in advance. We’re a popular destination as you know, and it pays to be prepared by getting in touch with us as soon as you can.
One thing you’ll notice when you come to Queenstown in the summer months is that Central Otago can be warm and dry. Very warm and very dry, in fact! This usually brings up the age-old debate of the best way to stay cool while motoring: windows down or air-con on? Here is our take on the topic.
If you drive with the windows down, this can create excessive wind disturbance, which is enough to reduce the vehicle’s aerodynamics. When this happens, more effort is required to push the vehicle along which means fuel consumption increases.
On the other hand, the air-conditioning can put an extra load on the engine while it is running, which causes it to use more energy and fuel. It’s apparent that you need to reach some sort of balance between the open window cooling technique and the air-con cooling method! How about winding down the windows when you’re travelling around town and at lower speeds, then reverting to air conditioning on the open road to reduce drag, cabin noise and disturbance.
There are other things you can do to keep your cool while motoring this summer. They include:
- Park in the shade if you can
- Place sun shades against your windshield while you’re parked up
- If possible, travel in the morning or evening when the day is at its coolest
- If your vanity allows, drive with wet hair
- Dress in cool clothes but avoid driving in bare feet
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water
- Freeze half-filled bottles of water and use as ice packs during your journey
- Stop frequently, step outside the vehicle, and cool down in the fresh air
If you do use the air conditioning system in one of our rental vehicles, you’ll be pleased to know that our fleet is rigorously maintained and the air-con will operate at peak efficiency. But for extra comfort, try a few of those other tips too. And to avoid missing out and becoming hot under the collar, be sure to contact us well before your holiday so that you can book your preferred vehicle.