Auckland City Rental Car Travel Itinerary
Keeping within the city limits, Auckland provides a great range of activities and attractions for all types of travellers. Relatively compact, it is easy to cram plenty of fun into the day, and everything is within easy driving distance in your rental car.
Don’t know where to start? Here are some quick itinerary suggestions to make the most of a 24 hours in Auckland. Mix and match, change it up or just pick out the best it’s up to you!
- Grab your morning coffee at one of the great cafes at the seaside hub of Mission Bay. For a bit of light exercise and some fantastic views over Auckland, head to the nearby Michael Joseph Savage Memorial Park on Bastion Point and take a stroll around the gardens.
- Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life Aquarium is also a great option while you are here; find them right on the edge of Okahu Bay on Tamaki Drive. Enjoy underwater viewing and some amazing marine life. Book your tickets online to save and if you get there by 10.30 am you will be able to catch the fascinating Turtle Talk!
- Heading into the central city to Auckland’s iconic Queen Street, explore the many boutique shops, cafes and galleries, then drop in at the Auckland Art Gallery (corner Wellesley and Kitchener Streets) enjoy over 16,000 artworks and sample the delights of the gallery cafe for a long leisurely lunch.
- For superb views across the city and harbour, catch the lift up to the top of the Sky Tower. Adrenaline junkies can try taking the leap of faith on the Sky Jump, or be brave on the Sky Walk. The Sky Tower has three dining options and even a revolving restaurant, if you want to grab a snack or bite to eat.
- Or catch the ferry at the historic Ferry Building on Quay Street and take a trip across to Waiheke Island. The sandy beaches and vineyards provide the perfect backdrop for an afternoon of exploration – and yes you can take your rental car with you!
- Or for a stunning harbour cruise get on board the ‘Pride of Auckland’. Departing from the Viaduct Harbour, the cruise takes around an hour and a half and sails under the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Upon your return check out the NZ National Maritime Museum right next door.
- Or take the ferry across the Harbour to Devonport, also departing from the Ferry Building on Quay Street. Explore the eclectic selection of antique dealers, craft shops, superb eateries and boutique shopping this historic seaside suburb has to offer.
- The Auckland Waterfront is the place to be for the best dining experiences, choose from world-famous chefs, boutique restaurants and great entertainment. SOUL is our pick for a relaxing dining experience as the sun goes down over the Harbour, or try Giraffe By Simon Gault for excellent meals made with the finest local produce.
- Want to make a night of it? Take in some live jazz at one of the bars along High Street, see a show at the Basement Theatre, catch an artsy film at the Academy boutique cinema or check out one of the many night clubs on Karangahape (‘K’) Road and dance the night away.
- Or for a more family friendly option why not do a spot of shopping at the Auckland Night Markets. Held at different locations around the city, the night markets offer up a busy and bustling atmosphere filled with entertainment, fun rides, crafts, souvenirs, fashion, toys and much more. And don’t forget the delicious street-style food!
While we have done our best to condense Auckland into just one day, it is difficult when there are so many great things to see and do. If you are staying longer and need more ideas on things to do in Auckland, check out our handy travel tips and advice or take a look through the Auckland Rental Car Itinerary page.